26 South African Protea Hotels to Join Marriott Rewards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s some good news for those of you who love traveling in South Africa as much as I do. This past April, after acquiring the 116-property Protea Hospitality Group, Marriott became the largest hotel company in Africa, and has now announced that 26 Protea properties in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban, South Africa will be joining Marriott Rewards on February 23, 2015.
The 26 Protea Hotels, Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! and African Pride Hotels located in South Africa that will soon join Marriott Rewards are:
- African Pride 15 on Orange Hotel
- African Pride Crystal Towers Hotel & Spa
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town
- Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge Waterfront
- Protea Hotel North Wharf Waterfront
- Protea Hotel President
- Protea Hotel Sea Point
- Protea Hotel Victoria Junction Waterfront
- Protea Hotel Cape Castle Waterfront
- Protea Hotel Tygervalley
- Protea Hotel Durbanville
- Protea Hotel Mowbray (opening February 2015)
- African Pride Melrose Arch
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch
- African Pride Irene Country Lodge
- Protea Hotel Wanderers
- Protea Hotel Balalaika Sandton
- Protea Hotel Parktonian All-Suite
- Protea Hotel Midrand
- Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport
- Protea Hotel Samrand
- Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport
- Protea Hotel Roodepoort
- Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge
- Protea Hotel Umhlanga
- Protea Hotel Edward
More than 80 other Protea properties will join Marriott Rewards later in 2015, including those located in Tanzania, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi and Uganda. Marriott’s new low and mid-tier presence in Africa will mean some less expensive options in a hotel market already peppered with largely high-end InterContinental, Radisson Blu, Hyatt, Hilton and Conrad properties.
For now, with these new Protea properties joining Marriott Rewards in February, the late winter/early spring looks like a great time to plan a trip to South Africa—which so far has been my favorite overseas travel destination. If you’re looking for extra inspiration, please check out these posts:
Welcome to The Points Guy!