Celebrate Girls in Aviation Day on September 24
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Looking to get the kids in your life into aviation (and travel)? Check out the fifth-annual International Girls in Aviation Day, happening September 24.
The day was created by Women in Aviation International, and local chapters will each host events in their cities. The aim is to connect girls who are interested in all things aviation with women working in the field. Pretty cool, right?
You can find a full list of events by city on the website; we checked a few out and we’d be happy to join any of these:
- In Chicago (home to both United and Boeing), there will be a day camp with a flight simulator and info and activities on all sorts of sky-focused careers.
- The Las Vegas chapter is teaming up with the Girl Scouts to showcase an aircraft display, and to host computer flight simulations and a glider competition.
- The L.A. chapter will host an air traffic control tower tour.
- The Space Coast Florida Tech chapter in Melbourne, Florida will help kids design an airport and plan a cross-country flight.
- The First in Flight chapter in Greensboro, North Carolina will have flight simulations and aircraft displays, and some awesome raffle prizes (last year someone won flight lessons!).
Most of the events are actually open to both boys and girls and have free food and goodie bags; just make sure to check with your local chapter before you swing by, in case space is limited.
All in all, this looks to be a cool way to either introduce kids to the world of aviation and nurture a curiosity in flying and travel. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
H/T: Runway Girl Network
Will you be attending any events in your area?
Welcome to The Points Guy!