Airlines Issue Weather Waivers for Northeast Travel on Tuesday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 11:08pm ET: Delta travel waiver has been added to the list. Thanks to reader Maggie M. for alerting us to Delta’s new waiver.
With just a couple of hours of notice, American Airlines, Delta and United have both issued travel notices for flights going through the Northeast tomorrow. If you’re flying to/from New York or Boston, you can utilize these change fee waivers to rebook yourself on a different date. All three airlines are allowing you to rebook as late as Friday. Similarly, if you’re connecting through New York or Boston, you can use these change fee waivers to reroute yourself through different airports or on different dates.
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
- Travel date: April 4
- Airports affected: Boston, Massachusetts (BOS); Islip, New York (ISP); Manchester, New Hampshire (MHT); New York Kennedy, New York (JFK); New York LaGuardia, New York (LGA); Newark, New Jersey (EWR); Stewart Newburgh, New York (SWF); White Plains / Westchester County, New York (HPN)
- Must have bought your ticket by April 3. Rebook travel anytime between April 3-7. You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same class or pay the difference.
- Travel date: April 4
- Airports affected: Boston, MA (BOS); Manchester, NH (MHT); Newburgh, NY (SWF); New York, NY-Kennedy(JFK); New York, NY-LaGuardia (LGA); Newark, NJ (EWR); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond April 7, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel dates: April 4
- Airports affected: Boston, MA (BOS); Manchester, NH (MHT); New York/Newark, NJ (EWR); New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK); New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA); White Plains, NY (HPN)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before April 7 as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Featured image courtesy of Jan-Stefan Knick/EyeEm via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!