Fire at Singapore Airport Leads to Delays and Evacuation

May 16, 2017

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Terminal 2 at Singapore’s Changi International Airport (SIN) was evacuated Tuesday (May 16) after a ‘small fire’ broke out in the departures hall, according to the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). The fire reportedly started within the facility’s air-handling system but has since been put out. Three travelers were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Passengers were evacuated out on to the tarmac at Terminal 2 and allegedly remained outside for several hours while airport authorities were dealing with the fire. The airport directed all arriving and departing flights to T3, which led to significant delays for travelers. T2 was closed for several hours after the evacuation.

The SCDF gave its all-clear report around 10:00pm local time in Singapore (10:00am ET) and the airport reopened the terminal shortly thereafter. Flights are expected to ‘resume progressively’ at the terminal, but note that you may still experience delays if you’re traveling to, from or through the airport. Local authorities have opened an investigation into the incident.

Featured image of T2 at Singapore Changi airport courtesy of Getty Images.

H/T: Channel NewsAsia

Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.