This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Chase Sapphire Reserve
One of the things I love most about being The Points Guy is getting to hear stories from readers about how award travel has affected their lives — the exotic vacations they’ve planned, the trips they’ve made to be with family and friends, the premium seats and suites they’ve experienced and so much more, all made possible by points and miles. I love to travel and explore, and it’s an honor to be able to help so many of you get where you want to go.
I like to share these success stories to help inspire you the way you inspire me! From time to time I pick one that catches my eye and post it for everybody to enjoy. If you’re interested in sharing your own story, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. If we publish it, I’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure!
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Kal, who used points and miles to pay for ten days in Nicaragua with his girlfriend. Here’s what he had to say:
My girlfriend and I just got back from an amazing ten-day trip to Nicaragua. Using strategies we learned from TPG, we were able to pay for 100% of our travel costs!
We saved roughly $5,000 using your strategies, which made it much easier to afford food and activities. None of this would have been possible without TPG, so thank you for everything you do. We had an unforgettable trip, and already have our eyes set on the next one!
Kal’s story is a good example of why it’s important to diversify your travel rewards. His itinerary involved redemptions through five different loyalty programs, and he wouldn’t have been able to book those awards so efficiently if his points were concentrated in just one. On the other hand, you won’t get far by having only a small number of points in lots of different programs, so you shouldn’t spread your points and miles too thin. I recommend focusing on transferable points like Chase Ultimate Rewards and Amex Membership Rewards, since they give you access to multiple airline and hotel programs from a single source.
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard and others like it are great for covering miscellaneous travel expenses that you’d otherwise pay for out of pocket, but there are other factors to consider when paying for a rental car. I recommend using a card that offers a primary collision damage waiver, since that protection from loss and damage trumps the opportunity to pay with miles. That said, you can get the best of both worlds by presenting a card with primary coverage when you pick up your rental, and then completing the transaction with your card of choice after returning the car in pristine condition.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! To thank Kal for sharing his experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending him a $200 Visa gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you.
Again, if the strategies you’ve learned here have helped you fly in first class, score an amazing suite, reach a far-flung destination or even just save a few dollars, please indulge me and the whole TPG team by emailing us with your own success stories (see instructions above). Feel free to also submit stories of your most egregious travel mistakes. In either case, you’ll have our utmost appreciation, along with some extra spending money for your next trip.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Featured image courtesy of John Coletti via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team