Airlines Allowing Free Flight Changes for Northeast Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: Citi Prestige
A couple of airlines (Delta and United) are offering travelers change fee waivers for travel throughout much of the New York City area and Philadelphia. With stormy weather expected, the waivers are for travel tomorrow, August 18, 2017.
If you’re flying to/from the affected airports, you can utilize these change fee waivers to rebook yourself on a different date. Or, if you’re just connecting through the area, you can use these change fee waivers to reroute yourself through different airports or on different dates.
Here’s a map of all of the airports included in at least one of the waivers below:
Remember, if you can’t delay your itinerary, airlines aren’t going to be responsible for paying for your meals or hotels in the case of weather-related delays/cancellations. But some top cards have flight delay/cancellation insurance that can reimburse you for weather issues, including the Citi Prestige ($500 per passenger for 3+ hour delay), the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($500 per ticket for 6+ hour or overnight delay) and Chase Sapphire Preferred ($500 per ticket for 12+ hour or overnight delay).
As of this writing, here are the available travel waivers for today:
- Travel date: August 18
- Airports affected: Newburgh (SWF), New York – Kennedy (JFK), New York – LaGuardia (LGA), Newark (EWR), White Plains (HPN)
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: August 21
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond August 21, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel dates: August 18
- Airports affected: Newark (EWR), New York – Kennedy (JFK), New York – LaGuardia (LGA), Philadelphia (PHL), White Plains (HPN)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before August 21, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
Welcome to The Points Guy!