TPG Staff Picks: What We’d Spend $999 on — Instead of the iPhone X
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, Apple released the iPhone X, and while many tech enthusiasts would gladly fork over $999 to upgrade to the new model, TPG staffers thought of some other things — from round-trip flights to London to a beautiful Airbnb stay in Barbados — they’d rather spend a grand on. Here’s a look at their ideal product and travel alternatives.
1. “I’d spend the $999 on annual fees for premium travel cards — essentially investing in a great travel card like Chase Sapphire Reserve, The Platinum Card from American Express or the Citi Prestige. — Brian Kelly, The Points Guy
2. “I’d buy a $600 round-trip flight to Paris in economy on a full-service carrier and do a two-night stay in a beautiful Airbnb for $250. That’s in addition to oysters, a bottle of Chablis and dinner for two at Brasserie Wepler for $120 — oh, and $29 to ride on the metro.” — Alberto Riva, Managing Editor
3. “I’d spend $361 on a round-trip ticket to London on Norwegian in October. Also a one-hour experience in a full-motion BA 747-400 or 777-200ER flight simulator for $593; two meals on each Norwegian flight (four total, so roughly $10 per meal) and plastic aviator wings to celebrate my ‘official’ pilot status.” — Wallace Cotton, Community Manager
4. “I’d rather spend that money on 10 one-way flights from Newburgh (SWF) to Dublin (DUB), plus a $9 McDonald’s breakfast at the airport.” — Nick Ellis, Assistant Editor
6. “Let’s put it this way: For $48 more, I could fly round-trip from New York to Sydney, Australia — which I’d much rather do than have another gadget.” — Kaeli Conforti, Senior Editor
7. “For that price, I can purchase a new piece of luggage so I can pack all my stuff away for $525, in addition to a round-trip flight to Stockholm for $303 and a six-day car rental to explore the rest of the country for $171.” — Emily McNutt, Associate Editor
8. “I’d rather spend four nights at the Westin Maui, using the Citi Prestige Card to get the 4th Night Free for $768 — before taxes and resort fees. And $230 worth of Ahi poke at Foodland Farms around the corner in Lahaina.” — Zach Honig, Editor-at-Large
9. “Personally, I’d rather spend that exact amount on a new MacBook Air.” — Cindy Augustine, Freelance Editor
10. “I’d spend that on a round-trip ticket to New Orleans in February, particularly the week before Mardi Gras, for $443. I’d also buy Beats headphones so I can drown out noise on the plane for $299. Then, I’d buy two dozen of the best oysters ever at Luke Oyster Happy Hour for $18 — yes, they are only $0.75 cents each. I’d also buy:
- Three tickets to see live music at Tipitina’s and on Frenchmen Street = $60 (ish)
- Half-fried oyster and half-fried shrimp po’ boy (fully dressed) at Domilise’s = $14
- Pita, hummus, shakshuka, avocado toast, etc. at Shaya = $30
- Beignets and a frozen café au lait at Café du Monde = $10
- A Hurricane at Pat O’Brien’s = $8.50
- A mozzarella sandwich at St. James Cheese Company = $8.95
- Lobster gnocchi at Restaurant R’evolution = $32
- Fried oysters with brie at Clancy’s (yup, that’s a thing) = $12.75
- Two SoulCycle classes to burn it all off when I get back = $64.”
— Samantha Rosen, Social Media Editor
What would you spend $999 instead of the new iPhone? Let us know in the comments below.
All prices accurate as of date of publication.
Welcome to The Points Guy!