This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Per Scott’s Cheap Flights, there’s a huge sale from all over the US to many European cities. Scott found a whopping 81 US airports with round-trip prices under $500. We looked into some options and found flights starting as cheap as $404 round-trip.
Feel free to check the examples below, but you might just want to head straight to Google Flights and use the Google Flights Explore Map to find the cheapest destinations from your airport. Then click through to Orbitz, Expedia or the airline directly to book your tickets.
Airlines: American/British Airways/Delta/Finnair/Iberia/KLM/United
Routes: ORD/SFO/LAX/JFK/FLL/SEA/MIA/RDU (and many more) to CDG/ORY/AMS/FCO (and many more)
Cost: $404+ round-trip in economy
Dates: November 2017 — May 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline directly
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Chicago (ORD) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $404 round-trip:
New York (JFK) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $405 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $431 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $431 round-trip:
New York’s JFK to Paris (PAR) for $442 round-trip:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to Paris (CDG) for $447 round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Rome (FCO) for $451 round-trip:
Miami (MIA) to Rome (FCO) for $456 round-trip:
Raleigh/Durham (RDU) to Rome (FCO) for $456 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image by Victor Walsh Photography/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team