Honduras Sets Curfew Due to Riots, Airlines Allowing Free Flight Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Central American country of Honduras is in a state of crisis. Early results indicate that last Sunday’s election was a close affair between the incumbent president and an opposition candidate. With 75% of the votes counted, the opposition candidate holds a slim lead. but the final results of the election have been repeatedly delayed since the release of those partial returns on Wednesday.
As protesters demanded the full results, the government declared a curfew on Friday night, restricting free movement from 6pm to 6am for the next ten days. Security forces have been instructed to arrest anyone found outside during these times or who is “in some way suspected of causing damage to people or their property.”
With rioting and a nationwide curfew in effect, travelers and visitors will likely want to avoid visiting Honduras during this tumultuous time. Thankfully, airlines are allowing free flight changes for those who already have flights booked into the country.
- Travel dates: December 1-8
- Airports affected: Roatan, Honduras (RTB); San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP); Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)
- Must have bought your ticket by December 1
- Rebook travel anytime between December 1-22
- You can’t change your origin or destination city. Must rebook in same cabin or pay the difference.
- Travel dates: December 2-4
- Airports affected: San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP) and Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: December 9
- When rescheduled travel occurs beyond December 9, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
- If travel cannot be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance.
- Travel dates: December 2-9
- Airports affected: San Pedro Sula, HN (SAP)
- Modification Charge/Fare Difference waived through: December 17, 2017
- After this date the modification charge is waived, but a fare difference may apply.
- Customers can make changes to their reservations affected by this event by going to Spirit’s Manage Travel page, or by calling the Spirit Reservations Center at 801-401-2222 to make their flight changes. To make changes to Spirit Vacation packages, contact Spirit Vacations at 954-698-0125.
- Travel dates: December 2-4
- Airports affected: Roatan, HN (RTB); San Pedro Sula, HN (SAP); Tegucigalpa, HN (TGU)
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 11, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
As of this writing, no waivers have been released by Avianca or COPA Airlines
Featured image by Orlando Sierra via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!