Register Now to Earn Up to 30,000 Points With IHG’s New Accelerate Promo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here: IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
A few times a year, IHG offers its Rewards Club members an individualized slate of “Accelerate” challenges. Challenges include staying a certain number of nights, at a certain number of brands or using a certain type of rate plan (i.e., Points and Cash). Each member’s offer seems to be based on past IHG activity. And, depending on how you work the promotion, you can score a bunch of points from just a few stays, like I’ve done on the current version:
We are coming up on the end of the current Acceleration promo on December 31. And now the new 2018 Accelerate promotion registration is live. Click here to register to see your new Accelerate offer for stays from January 1 to April 30, 2018.
While each member gets an individualized offer, the terms and conditions state that every member will earn at least 30,000 points. Based on current TPG valuations, that means each offer should net at least $210 in value. But, it seems many offers provide an opportunity to earn much more than that.
After meeting most of the requirements of the current Accelerate promo, I was expecting IHG to up the ante. It did, but I still ended up with an achievable set of offers. For reference, I have 18 qualifying stays — not including non-qualifying stays (i.e. award nights, Points and Cash stays) — so far in 2017. I can earn 60,600 bonus points from completing the following tasks:
- 2,000 Stay Once Get 2,000
- 12,000 Stay More, Earn More — 6 nights
- 5,600 Stay at Holiday Inn Express — Stay at 2 Holiday Inn Express hotels
- 4,000 A Bonus Weekend Stay — Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday stay
- 2,500 Corporate Account Bonus — Stay 2 times using a corporate rate
- 12,000 Explore With Confidence — Stay in any country in Europe, Greater China (China Mainland, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan), Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa
- 1,500 Spend on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card — pay for one stay with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card
- 14,000 Your Achievement Bonus — Complete 6 of the 7 offers [above]
- 5,000 Refer a Friend and Earn — One referral, but the new member “must complete their first stay by April 30th”
- 2,000 January Bonus Offer — Stay once in January
Thankfully, I’m a fan of Holiday Inn Express hotels and travel overseas a lot, so most of these are very achievable for me. Staying six nights across two stays at Holiday Inn Express — at least one overseas — using my IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card including a Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday will score me 51,100 points. At current TPG valuations, that’s $358 worth of value from just six nights at a Holiday Inn Express.
A few tips for planning how to tackle your Accelerate promotion:
- Points and Cash stays don’t qualify as qualifying stays.
- Each member will have the opportunity to earn at least 30,000 points
- Each offer must be completed between January 1, 2018 and April 30, 2018 (both dates inclusive)
- A stay is defined as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out. So, you can’t rack up multiple stays at the same hotel just by checking out and checking back in.
- The following don’t count as qualifying stays: any stay at a Kimpton Hotel, net wholesale individual and group rate, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker/crew rate, 50% travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, IHG Rewards Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, rates booked through third-party websites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate at IHG’s sole discretion.
Featured image courtesy of InterContinental Hong Kong.
Welcome to The Points Guy!