This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Supreme Court has ruled that the Trump administration’s ban on travel into the US from six countries with majority-Muslim populations can go back into effect while lower courts consider several legal challenges to the federal policy.
Two justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor, dissented from the ruling, which overturned lower courts’ injunctions and reinstated the latest version of the White House’s ban. The Trump travel policy forbids entry by citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen. The court said the policy could take full effect, superseding its own previous compromise ruling this summer, which allowed entry by people from the six Muslim-majority nations with “bona fide” relationships to people already in the US, such as grandparents and cousins.
Two appellate courts are scheduled to hear arguments for and against the travel ban this week on an accelerated timeframe meant to allow the Supreme Court to issue its own ruling on the legality of the policy by the end of June 2018. This is the third version of the administration’s ban, which it has repeatedly tweaked to try to meet judicial muster.
Observers noted that the court’s decision to allow the full ban to take effect bodes ill for opponents of the administration’s travel policy, and is likely a sign that the Supreme Court will ultimately uphold it.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team