This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At last week’s World Aviation Festival in London, everyone was talking about one airline’s app. It wasn’t British Airways, Emirates or Singapore Airlines. No, it turns out low-cost carrier EasyJet has one of the best airline apps in the world. The carrier has just rolled out the ability to find a flight with just your voice, and it also promoted its existing ability to upload a photo from social media (like a #travelinspo pic you see on Instagram) into the app. The app will then analyse the photo, and if EasyJet flies there, it’ll find the location and offer you a flight there.
So let’s see if it actually works with some images from some of my TPG colleagues.
To use this functionality, EasyJet recommend saving a screenshot of the images you like and then uploading them into the app. Once you have your image, click on the book tab and then the upload image icon.
First up, let’s try TPG’s European expert Lori Zaino — she’s always somewhere interesting.
This photo does have a location, however, I don’t recognise the name or the landmark in the background. I could technically click on the location, then load an Insta map, zoom out to the nearest town, work out where is the nearest airport and then figure out if EasyJet flies there. But let’s see if simply loading it into the EasyJet app is quicker.
The app has identified both the location of the photo, where the nearest airport and has offered me flight options. I select my departure airport and preferred dates.
Let’s try a different photo to check that wasn’t a fluke. Here’s a photo of TPG himself, Brian Kelly somewhere in Switzerland.
I don’t recognise the destination, so let’s load it into the app.
Turns out it’s close to Geneva, so let’s have a look at flight options.
EasyJet has a sizeable route network from the UK to dozens of countries across Europe, with some services to North Africa and the Middle East, so the photos would only work for these regions. Don’t try uploading a photo of Niagara Falls.
While most Instagram photos that inspire me to travel somewhere seem to have either a location tag or some sort of clue in the description of the photo or a hashtag like #Amsterdam or #Sicily, I was impressed with how quick and simple it was to just screenshot the photo and load it into the app. I like EasyJet as a low-cost option in Europe and appreciate a low-cost carrier investing so much in its app functionality.
Featured image by Newscast/UIG via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team