This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the questions we are asked most often here at TPG is “How much is a point or mile worth?” The answer varies from person to person, and depends on how well you can maximise a particular loyalty currency. Still, some rewards are clearly worth more than others — our goal is to give you a sense of how they stack up.
These valuations are based on a combination of what we would pay to buy points if given the opportunity and the overall value we could get from redeeming them, factoring in variables like award availability, fees and change/cancellation policies. We encourage you to share your thoughts where you think we are off base (and on point, no pun intended), and we’ll take feedback from TPG readers into consideration when we regularly update the valuations.
|PROGRAM||July 2019 VALUATIONS (PENCE)||August 2019 VALUATIONS (PENCE)|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||1.2p||1.2p|
|American Express Membership Rewards||1.4p||1.4p|
|Alaska Mileage Plan||1.4p||1.4p|
|British Airways Avios||1.1p||1.1p|
|Flying Blue (Air France/KLM)||1.0p||1.0p|
|HSBC Premier Rewards||0.6p||0.6p|
|IHG Rewards Club||0.4p||0.4p|
|Lufthansa Miles & More||1.1p||1.1p|
|Qatar Airways Qmiles||0.6p||0.6p|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||1.2p||1.2p|
|World of Hyatt||1.5p||1.5p|
Movers and Shakers
In July, BA’s Oneworld partner American Airlines added some benefits to its AAdvantage miles. Now, you can redeem AA miles online with Japan Airlines, and the airline also got approval to begin its joint venture with Qantas.
Meanwhile, Marriott and Emirates relaunched a partnership, Your World Rewards, that allows upper tier elites to earn reciprocal benefits.
Which programmes would you like to see added to the list?
This is The Points Guy UK’s permanent page for the most up-to-date valuations, so you can bookmark it and check back each month for updates. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older valuations below.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team