5 ways to use your Virgin Atlantic Flying Club points from Manchester
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic has one of the best airline reward membership schemes if you live in the north of England, known as the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. Flying to four year-round destinations and three seasonal destinations, Manchester Airport (MAN) is one of the airline’s hubs in the UK.
For news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter.
Normally, it’s not easy to find availability on Virgin Atlantic flights, especially in premium cabins. Fortunately, right now thanks to Virgin Atlantic’s new Minimum Seat Guarantee, thousands of award seats were recently added to all destinations. This means right now there is excellent award availability to see destinations Virgin fly from Manchester, with at least two seats available on most dates. If you have a stash of Virgin Points now is the time to redeem!
From MAN, there are five destinations in total to which you can fly direct: Atlanta (ATL), New York (JFK) and Orlando (MCO) all year around, and then depending on the season, you can fly direct to Barbados (BGI), Islamabad (ISB).
Let’s start with the year-round options:
Virgin operates an Airbus A330-300 once daily to Atlanta, and the experience in Upper Class is a treat.
The flight operates on the following schedule:
- VS109 Manchester (MAN) 10:20 a.m. Departure ⇒ Atlanta (ATL) 2:35 p.m. Arrival
- VS110 Atlanta (ATL) 5:15 p.m. Departure ⇒ Manchester (MAN) 6:20 a.m. (+1) Arrival
You can redeem flights from 47,500 points + £421 in Upper Class one-way.
Virgin operates a daily Airbus A330-300 from Manchester (MAN) to New York (JFK) on the following schedule:
- VS127 Manchester (MAN) 12:45 p.m. Departure ⇒ New York (JFK) 3:40 p.m. Arrival
- VS128 New York (JFK) 8:01 p.m. Departure ⇒ Manchester (MAN) 8:10 a.m. (+1) Arrival
When there are seats available for a redemption, you can get one-way fares from as few as £47,500 points and £416 in fees and taxes in Upper Class. Initially, that might seem a lot to pay on top of using your points, but a return ticket in cash starts from £4,865. So, using the miles option here doesn’t damage the bank balance near as much as paying in cash.
Family favourite Orlando (MCO) — where Disney World is located — is served 2x daily, with both outbound flights departing in the morning:
- VS075 Manchester (MAN) 10:00 a.m. Departure ⇒ Orlando (MCO) 2:30 p.m. Arrival
- VS073 Manchester (MAN) 11:10 a.m. Departure ⇒ Orlando (MCO) 3:10 p.m. Arrival (not on Wed and Sat)
The return flights, VS076 and VS074, are both daily and overnight.
- VS076 Orlando (MCO) 6:10 p.m. Departure ⇒ Manchester (MAN) 7:40 a.m. (+1) Arrival
- VS074 Orlando (MCO) 7:40 p.m. Departure ⇒ Manchester (MAN) 8:45 a.m. (+1) Arrival (not on Tue and Fri)
One-way economy redemptions start at 12,500 points and £177. This could provide excellent value for a family of four looking to shave some money off the cost of a holiday. The VS075/VS076 rotation is flown by the much more modern Airbus A350-1000, so make sure you pick that flight given the choice.
Meanwhile, two of Virgin’s routes from Manchester (MAN) remain seasonal. Barbados (BGI) and Islamabad (ISB) are served during the summer season. The schedules for 2022 are as follows:
The current winter schedule for flights to Barbados is a 3x weekly flight on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays on the Airbus A330-300.
- VS077 Manchester (MAN) 10:15 a.m. Departure ⇒ Bridgetown (BGI) 3:25 p.m. Arrival
The return flight operates on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays:
- VS078 Bridgetown (BGI) 5:50 p.m. Departure ⇒ Manchester (MAN) 6:20 a.m. (+1) Arrival
Redemptions start as low as 10,000 points + £145 in economy — a absolute steal for a one-way flight to the Caribbean.
Virgin Atlantic flies to Islamabad (ISB) throughout summer on Sundays and Wednesdays with Airbus A330-300 aircraft.
- VS362 Manchester (MAN) 10:15 a.m. Departure ⇒ Islamabad (ISB) 8:55 p.m. Arrival
The return is flown on Monday and Thursday:
- VS363 Islamabad (ISB) 1:05 a.m. Departure ⇒ Manchester (MAN) 6:45 a.m. (+1) Arrival
Redemptions cost 17,500 points + £336 in economy or 47,500 + £501 in Upper Class. The economy rates on this route are on the high side, so consider saving up for an Upper Class redemption to get the most value out of your points.
Featured photo by Dan Ross/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!