Earn up to 30 Nectar points per £1 spent by linking your credit or debit card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nectar has introduced yet another way to boost your points balance, which is great news for British Airways Avios collectors.
Normally, you need to show your Nectar card at participating retailers like Sainsbury’s in order to collect Nectar points on your purchases. Otherwise, the retailer would not know your Nectar number and your purchase would not be recorded.
Nectar has now made this process even easier with Nectar Connect. You can now link your existing credit and debit cards to your Nectar account so you won’t have to scan your Nectar card separately — it will automatically do so for you with a connected credit or debit card. Most major card providers and U.K. banks are supported including American Express, Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, Monzo, Natwest and Virgin Money.
Then when you use these credit or debit cards at selected retailers (listed in the Nectar Connect section of your Nectar app), your card issuer will communicate this purchase to Nectar and the Nectar points are automatically added to your Nectar account, without the need for a physical Nectar card or app swipe instore.
You can link your cards through the Nectar app, though note that you will have to agree that your card issuer can share your personal information like your spending habits with Nectar.
To encourage Nectar members to link their cards and activate their Nectar Connect, the programme is offering big bonuses at Nectar Connect retailers on their next purchase using their linked cards. Offers may vary from member to member, but after linking my American Express cards to my Nectar account, I have the following offers:
- 10 Nectar points per £1 for my next purchase at Kate Spade, Harvey Nichols, Quiz and Coach
- 20 Nectar points per £1 for my next purchase at Lakeland, Pets At Home, Costa Coffee, Just Eat and Papa John’s
- 30 Nectar points per £1 for my next purchase at Interflora
More offers may be added from time to time — check your Nectar app for offers personalised to you.
Remember, you can transfer 400 Nectar points to become 250 Avios — or vice versa. Essentially, with this transfer option, you are “buying” Avios for a cost of 0.8p apiece, which isn’t necessarily a bad deal. In fact, that’s better than you will often find with BA’s buy Avios promotions.
If you’d rather use your Nectar points for retail purchases rather than travel, you can also use them as follows:
- Sainsbury’s — 500 Nectar points are worth £2.50;
- Argos — 500 Nectar points are worth £2.50. You can use a maximum of 40,000 points (worth £200) on a purchase;
- eBay — 500 Nectar points are worth £2.50 to use towards vouchers. You can use a maximum of 40,000 points (£200) per voucher, but there’s no limit to the number of vouchers you can purchase;
- Eurostar — 2,000 Nectar points are worth £10 off your Eurostar bookings; and
- Caffè Nero — 350 Nectar points will get you one hot or iced drink.
Featured image by Cavan Images/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!