Earn 5x Aeroplan Miles at Choice Hotels Through Year End
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We recently wrote about how Best Western is offering 750 Aeroplan miles per stay this fall when you opt to earn Aeroplan miles instead of Best Western Rewards points. Now, Choice Hotels is topping this promotion by offering 1,250 Aeroplan miles per stay when you earn Aeroplan miles instead of Choice Privileges points. This is five times the Aeroplan miles you’d normally earn per stay; TPG’s latest valuations peg this haul of Aeroplan miles at $18.75.
This promotion is particularly valuable if you need to stay at any Choice properties this fall but don’t particularly care about earning Choice Privileges points. It’s also valuable for short stays or stays at cheap properties where you’d normally earn minimal Choice points. Mathematically, if you agree with TPG’s latest valuations of both Aeroplan miles and Choice hotels, the break-even point happens on a stay of exactly $312.50:
- Selecting Aeroplan miles would get you 1,250 miles, worth $18.75
- Earning Choice points would instead get you 3,125 points (since you earn 10 points per dollar), also worth $18.75.
As a result, if your stay is less than $312.50, selecting Aeroplan would be the more lucrative option. If it’s more than that, the Choice Privileges points you’ll earn are more valuable.
If you do elect to earn miles, you can provide your Aeroplan number at check-in for each stay, or you can change your earning preference to Aeroplan before your first stay. To change your earning preference, log-in to your account, click on your name in the upper right corner, select My Account and then select Update Profile. Select Edit next to Manage Loyalty Programs, add Aeroplan as a new loyalty program and then set Aeroplan as your primary earning preference.
If you want to take advantage of the 1,250 Aeroplan miles per stay promotion, be aware of the following restrictions:
- Hotel stays booked under certain rates are not eligible. No details are provided, but the rates used by most travelers — Best Available Rate, Advance Purchase Rate, Corporate, Government/Military, AAA/CAA, Senior Rate, Sports Rate — are generally eligible to earn airline points.
- Reservations made via third-party online retailers or wholesalers aren’t eligible.
- Consecutive nights at one hotel, regardless of check-ins or check-outs, are considered to be one stay.
- The hotel guest name must match the Aeroplan member’s name.
- You must check-in between October 1 and December 31, 2018.
- It may take 6-8 weeks for the Aeroplan miles to be credited to your Aeroplan account.
- Stays in Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden aren’t eligible.
For stays booked or stayed outside the promotion window, you’ll earn the normal rate of 250 Aeroplan miles per stay if you have your earning preference set to Aeroplan. TPG’s latest valuation values 250 Aeroplan miles at only $3.75 — and Choice Privileges points can provide excellent value — so you’ll definitely want to change your earning preference back to Choice points after the promotion ends on December 31.
H/T: Loyalty Lobby
Featured image courtesy of Bluegreen Vacations Solara Surfside, Ascend Resort Collection.
Welcome to The Points Guy!