Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points with the Platinum Card from American Express
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The most feature-packed personal credit card in the U.K. has just doubled its welcome bonus to a huge 60,000 Membership Rewards points.
Until 2 November, new and approved cardholders of The Platinum Card from American Express U.K. can earn 60,000 valuable Membership Rewards points after spending £6,000 in the first six months of cardmembership. That’s double the previous welcome bonus of 30,000 points.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG U.K. newsletter for more credit card information.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuation of Membership Rewards points, this increased welcome bonus would be worth £840. Membership Rewards are enormously valuable as they can be transferred to a number of different loyalty programmes including British Airways Avios, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.
The Platinum Card from American Express comes with an annual fee of £595, which might initially seem to cancel out much of the value of the welcome bonus. But remember, this card comes with more travel benefits than any other personal credit card in the U.K., including:
- Comprehensive worldwide travel insurance for you, your partner, your dependent children and your supplementary cardmembers for trips of up to 90 days and gap year cover for children under 25.
- Elite status in four different hotel programmes: Gold with Hilton Honors, Gold with Marriott Bonvoy, Gold with Radisson Rewards and Gold with the Melia Rewards programme.
- Elite status in the Avis Preferred and Hertz Gold Plus Rewards programmes.
- A £10 a month Addison Lee credit when booking a car and paying with the card.
- A US$200 (approximately £150) credit on every private home rental you book with Onefinestay, which provides luxury homes and services from around the world.
- Access to the very best network of domestic lounges in the U.S. — the Centurion Lounges;
- A Priority Pass membership for access to more than 1,000 lounges, including restaurants. The Platinum Card membership to Priority Pass also allows you to bring one free guest in with you.
- Access to the Amex Fine Hotel & Resorts programme (FHR) which provides extra perks when you book a hotel room through the programme such as complimentary breakfast for two, late checkout, free Wi-Fi, room upgrades when available and a benefit specific to each hotel, such as a US$100 on-property credit.
Featured image by Josh Gribben / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!