This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express UK has undergone a recent refresh, with new features and benefits. You can read our updated review of the card here.
The standard welcome bonus for the card is 40,000 Membership Rewards points for spending £6,000 in the first three months of card membership. This is a great offer in itself, as TPG UK values these Membership Rewards points at 1.4p each, making that welcome bonus worth around £560, which almost offsets the £595 annual fee completely.
Until 6 November 2019, American Express are offering an increased welcome bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards points for new card members who are approved for the card and meet the same minimum spend. At our valuation this increased welcome bonus would be worth a whopping £840.
This offer is not available through public applications links — only through American Express’ referral program. You must be provided with a special application link from an existing American Express card member. They can generate this link through their own Amex online account and provide it to you.
So if a friend or business associate has been telling you about the benefits of the card, you may wish to contact them to ask them to generate a referral link for you. You can receive the higher welcome bonus and they will also receive a smaller — but still significant — amount of Membership Rewards points in their account for referring a friend or family member.
Featured image by Josh Gribben / The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team