This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The coastal village of Landévennec in Finistère, in Brittany, France’s most northwestern region, has a new ban: Stay away from the frisky dolphin.
A sexually aroused dolphin on a Brittany beach has become increasingly aggressive toward swimmers during his mating season, and the local mayor issued a swimming ban on Aug. 20. Swimmers will be fined 39 euros, or roughly $45, if they swim closer than 131 feet to the dolphin.
The dolphin, nicknamed Zafar, has been rubbing against people and boats, and the BBC reported that the ban followed after the 10-foot bottlenose dolphin tossed a female bather into the air with his nose.
“I issued this ban to protect people’s security,” Mayor Rodger Lars told BBC.
Samy Hassani, director of the care and conservation center at Océanopolis marine theme park in Brest explained to the French news outlet, Ouest France, that because dolphins normally travel in packs, the lonely marine mammal is seeking contact by rubbing his nose against swimmers and boats.
Officials at the Department of Finistère support the mayor’s decision.
“The prefect of Finistère supports the decision of common sense made by the mayor of Landévennec prohibiting swimming in the presence of the animal, which contributes to the safety of everyone, including swimmers the most experienced,” the department said in a tweet.
According to CNN, Zafar has since moved down the coast and locals can swim safely.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team