American Airlines Launches New On-Board Catering from Partner Zoës Kitchen
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is stepping up its on-board economy food by partnering with Zoës Kitchen to stock fresh sandwiches, wraps and snacks. The new meals take flight today (Dec. 1, 2018) on domestic flights longer than 1,100 miles — or about three hours.
Passengers will have the following options for qualifying morning flights:
- Breakfast Sandwich: Turkey bacon, egg slices and tomato topped with baby arugula on a waffle brioche bun with Calabrian pepper aioli ($8.79)
- Continental Breakfast Box: Belgian waffle, hazelnut spread and fresh berries ($8.99)
Lunch and dinner choices are:
- The Grüben: Zoës signature sandwich with sliced turkey, Manchego cheese, crunchy Mediterranean slaw and feta spread layered on marble wheat bread, served with a Zoës chocolate chip cookie ($10.99)
- ChickenWrap: A grilled chicken wrap with mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, arugula and artichokes, served with a Zoës chocolate chip cookie ($10.99)
- Hummus Duo: Zoës signature hummus duo including their classic flavor topped with Kalamata olives and basil pesto hummus served with pita bread, cucumber and carrot ($9.99)
In addition, a non-labeled f
To drum up excitement, American Airlines shared this “behind-the-scenes look” at the photo shoot for the new on-board meals:
As with any fresh food on airlines, the airline has to balance having enough items in-stock during flight with reducing waste. And I’ve been on a number of domestic AA flights where the meal options run out just a few rows into the economy cabin.
If you want to ensure that AA stocks a Zoës Kitchen wrap just for you on your flight, you’ll want to pre-order the meal 30 days to 24 hours before your flight. To do so, go into your trips on the AA website, select a reservation with a qualifying flight and scroll down to “reserve a meal”:
This will populate a window with your choices:
In my experience, a flight attendant will deliver your sandwich or wrap to your seat at the beginning of the drink and snack service.
If you’re an American Airlines Executive Platinum elite — and missed out on a complementary upgrade to domestic first class — you’ll get a free entrée as well as an alcoholic drink. The entrée prices will show on AA’s website, but you won’t be charged on-board.
Welcome to The Points Guy!