Get a 25% Bonus for Transferring Amex Membership Rewards to Aeromexico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Platinum Card® from American Express, American Express® Gold Card, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express
American Express has been on a roll lately with transfer bonuses, offering anywhere from 10%-40% bonuses when you transfer your Membership Rewards points to partner airlines. Now through February 14, 2019, you can receive a 25% bonus on transfers to Aeromexico Club Premier.
This is not a targeted bonus and you don’t need to register for it either, you should see the higher transfer ratio automatically reflected when you log into your Amex account. Membership Rewards points normally transfer to Aeromexico at a 1:1.6 rate, but with the 25% bonus you’ll end up earning 2,000 Premier Points for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer.
The best way to earn Membership Rewards points is by taking advantage of a welcome bonus on an Amex card. Here are some of the best current offers:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 60,000 bonus points for spending $5,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- American Express® Gold Card: 35,000 bonus points for spending $2,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Up to 75,000 bonus points for spending $20,000 in the first three months of Card Membership
Aeromexico’s partner award chart is pretty average — not too expensive, but not many sweet spots either. For example, round-trip flights from the US to Europe on SkyTeam airlines cost 96,000 Premier Points in economy and 220,000 in business class. Remember with the normal 1:16 transfer ratio, that’s 60,000 Membership Rewards points in economy and 137,500 in business.
The best value redemption in Club Premier are around-the-world tickets, which price out at 224,000 Premier Points in economy and 352,000 in business. With the current bonus, you’d only need to transfer 112,000 or 176,000 Membership Rewards points, and the routing rules are incredibly generous:
- You must travel in the same direction, east or west.
- Travel must begin and end in the same country.
- It’s only valid on SkyTeam-operated flights.
- You must have a minimum of three and a maximum of 15 stopovers, with no more than five per continent.
- All flights must be booked in the same class of service.
This allows you to criss-cross the world at a fraction of the cost, and is one reason that the Club Premier program actually deserves some recognition.
Welcome to The Points Guy!