This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Paris branch manager for All Nippon Airways (ANA) has resigned after drunkenly injuring a fellow passenger en route to Japan.
Kenji Sugino, 52, had consumed six glasses of wine in business class on board ANA Flight 216 from Paris (CDG) to Tokyo (HND) on October 2. Details are unclear, but Sugino became inebriated four hours into the flight and ended up inflicting a cervical vertebrae sprain on his seatmate, a woman in her 50s. The victim was taken to a hospital after the plane landed at Haneda. The circumstances of the incident are not otherwise clear.
Sugino, who has worked for ANA since 1988, was ordered to resign — or fired outright, according to a different source — on October 5 as a result of “professional misconduct.” ANA also released a public apology “from the bottom of our hearts.”
The airline’s disciplinary actions extended beyond Sugino’s forced resignation (or firing.) CEO Yuji Hirako and Chairman Shinya Katanozaka both reduced their salaries by 20% for one month as a gesture of personal responsibility. Furthermore, ANA employees have been prohibited from consuming alcohol in airport lounges and on board flights.
TPG reached out to ANA but had not heard back at he time of publication.
Featured photo by Yoshikazu Tsuno/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team