British Airways to launch 4 new European routes from Heathrow this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In total, it will launch new routes from London Heathrow (LHR) to Wroclaw (WRO) and Gdansk (GDN) in Poland, Riga (RIX) in Latvia and Cluj-Napoca (CLJ) in Romania.
The routes will launch at the beginning of July and operate through the rest of the summer season. Wroclaw will operate with twice-weekly service from Heathrow, while Gdansk, Riga and Cluj-Napoca will operate three times per week — all operated by BA’s short-haul Airbus fleet.
The Wroclaw flight will operate on the following schedule on Thursdays and Sundays from 1 July to 26 September:
- BA5223 London Heathrow (LHR) 7:35 a.m. Departure ⇒ Wroclaw (WRO) 10:45 a.m. Arrival
- BA5224 Wroclaw (WRO) 11:35 a.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 12:45 p.m. Arrival
The flight to Gdansk will operate on the following schedule on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from 2 July to 26 September:
- BA5323 London Heathrow (LHR) 4 p.m. Departure ⇒ Gdansk (GDN) 7:10 p.m. Arrival
- BA5324 Gdansk (GDN) 8 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 9:15 p.m. Arrival
The flight to Riga will operate on the following schedules on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from 2 July to 26 September:
- BA3801 London Heathrow (LHR) 3 p.m. Departure ⇒ Riga (RIX) 7:40 p.m. Arrival
- BA3802 Riga (RIX) 8:30 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 9:15 p.m. Arrival
Finally, the route to Cluj-Napoca will operate on the following schedule on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from 2 July to 26 September:
- BA5367 London Heathrow (LHR) 7 a.m. Departure ⇒ Cluj-Napoca (CLJ) 11:50 a.m. Arrival
- BA5368 Cluj-Napoca (CLJ) 12:40 p.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 1:40 p.m. Arrival
“It’s great to be launching new routes as we listen to our customers and assess where they want to travel,” British Airways director of network and alliances Neil Chernoff said in a statement. “We know these four new destinations will be popular with people visiting friends and relatives, but they also offer great city breaks, when the time is right, with flights that head out just before the weekend and return on Sunday.
As part of Tuesday’s announcement, British Airways also announced that it’s going to launch its summer service to Perugia (PEG) on 28 June. It was originally set to commence in 2020 but was delayed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Ultimately, these are four new and exciting routes from BA for the summer. Currently, international travel is set to return from 17 May at the earliest, though it could be pushed back. When it does resume, it’ll take the form of a traffic light system based on a country’s risk level: red, amber or green.
At this time, we don’t know which countries will get which category of traffic light. However, it could be an indication from BA that it thinks Poland, Latvia and Romania could be on the green list. We will have to wait to find out.
Featured photo by Marcus Lindstrom/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!