British Airways unveils 6 new destinations from Heathrow for summer 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways is expanding its presence on leisure routes for summer travel. On Thursday, the announced the addition of six new leisure routes from its Heathrow hub. For summer 2020, you can jet off to new destinations in Greece, Italy, Kosovo, Montenegro and Turkey.
Kosovo and Montenegro
Possibly the most exciting of the six new additions are the two stunning Balkan countries of Kosovo and Montenegro, which the airline has never before flown to. The inaugural flights to the capitals Pristina, Kosovo (PRN) and Podgorica, Montenegro (TGD) will be on 4 July 2020. Flights will depart once per week on Saturdays.
- BA528 London (LHR) 2:20 p.m. Departure ⇒ Pristina (PRN) 6:20 p.m. Arrival
- BA529 Pristina (PRN) 7:10 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 9:30 p.m. Arrival
- BA532 London (LHR) 3:10 p.m. Departure ⇒ Podgorica (TGD) 7:10 p.m. Arrival
- BA533 Podgorica (TGD) 8:00 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 10:10 p.m. Arrival
Italy is a firm favourite on the list of holiday destinations for Brits. British Airways will be adding to its list of 18 Italian destinations that it already services with the addition of medieval Perugia — in Umbria — nestled in the hills halfway between Florence and Rome. Passengers can choose between flights on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays. Flights will run over the summer from 2 July to 31 August 2020.
- BA616 London (LHR) 11:10 a.m. Departure ⇒ Perugia (PEG) 2:35 p.m. Arrival
- BA617 Perugia (PEG) 3:25 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 5:00 p.m. Arrival
- BA616 London (LHR) 4:25 p.m. Departure ⇒ Perugia (PEG) 7:50 p.m. Arrival
- BA617 Perugia (PEG) 8:45 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 10:20 p.m. Arrival
- BA616 London (LHR) 2:55 p.m. Departure ⇒ Perugia (PEG) 6:20 p.m. Arrival
- BA617 Perugia (PEG) 7:10 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 8:45 p.m. Arrival
Two popular Turkish beach destinations are to return to BA’s route network out of Heathrow. Flights to both Bodrum (BJV) and Dalaman (DLM) will run once per week to include the entire summer seasons on Saturdays from 23 May to 24 October 2020.
- BA670 London (LHR) 1:05 p.m. Departure ⇒ Bodrum (BJV) 7:20 p.m. Arrival
- BA671 Bodrum (BJV) 8:20 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 10:35 p.m. Arrival
- BA678 London (LHR) 7:25 a.m. Departure ⇒ Dalaman (DLM) 1:40 p.m. Arrival
- BA679 Dalaman (DLM) 3:00 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 5:15 p.m. Arrival
There will also be a new summer service to Antalya (AYT) from Gatwick (LGW).
Finally, passengers are now able to fly direct from Heathrow to Rhodes (RHO) — one of the largest of the Greek islands. The new route gives passengers an alternative to Gatwick from where the airline already operates flights to the island. Once again, flights will operate once per week on Saturdays, this time running from 4 July to 29 August 2020.
- BA624 London (LHR) 7:55 a.m. Departure ⇒ Rhodes (RHO) 2:10 p.m. Arrival
- BA625 Rhodes (RHO) 3:15 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 5:35 p.m. Arrival
Prices to holiday destinations in the summer are likely to be expensive and sell out fast. Using Avios as part payments or checking for Reward Flight Saver availability might be an option to make flights more affordable. For example, for flights to Perugia (PEG) and Podgorica (TGD), you can get one-way flights from 11,000 Avios + £0.50. As Bodrum (BJV), Dalaman (DLM), Pristina (PRN) and Rhodes (RHO) are slightly farther and fall into the next category on British Airways distance-based reward chart, one-way flights are slightly more at 13,000 Avios + £0.50. It’s worth noting that when booking there are several Avios and cash options available, which mean you can pay more cash and less Avios if that’s what you’d prefer.
Related reading: Can you book Reward Flight Savers outside of Europe?
BA also announced that for summer 2020, it will also increase frequencies from Heathrow to 16 destinations, including Brindisi, Ibiza, Kefalonia, Larnaca, Olbia, Preveza, Split, Tenerife.
Featured image by Grzegorz Bajor/Getty Images