This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways is kicking its inflight entertainment offering up a notch. On Wednesday, the British flag carrier announced that it was set to introduce virtual reality headsets on select flights.
The VR headsets will be trialled until the end of 2019 and will be available on select flights in first class from London Heathrow (LHR) to New York (JFK). Specifically, the headsets will be available on BA Flight 117, which departs LHR at 8:25am and arrives in NYC at 11:05am. First class passengers who elect to try out the VR headsets will be able to choose from a selection of films, documentaries and travel programmes either in 2D, 3D or in 360°.
The VR headsets are made by AlloSky and designed by SkyLights, an American-French company, and allow passengers to watch content in the mode of their choosing and even when lying fully flat in the first-class bed. Additionally, BA says that it’s worked with experts to choose therapeutic programmes, such as guided meditation and sound therapy, to help passengers who have a fear of flying.
While BA is the first UK airline to experiment with VR technology in its IFE offering, it’s not the first airline globally to do so. The tech has been utilised by Air France’s now-defunct Joon, Alaska Airlines and Iberia, among others.
BA has used VR technology in some of its on-the-ground operations in the past, such as its VR tour of the Club World cabin in Heathrow’s Terminal 5.
Photos by Nick Morrish/British Airways.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team