This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Award redemptions for flights between the United States and the United Kingdom are now a little cheaper thanks to one airline’s decision to reduce carrier-imposed fees on select routes.
A British Airways spokesperson has confirmed to TPG that the airline has reduced carrier-imposed fees (CIFs) on a number of routes between the US and the UK. Routes on which the reduced carrier-imposed fees apply will now incur fees of just $65 (~£54) one-way, down from $175 (~£145). Routes that do not feature the reduced carrier-imposed fees will continue to incur fees of $175 (~£145).
Routes With Reduced Carrier-Imposed Fees
- Boston (BOS) — London (LHR)
- Los Angeles (LAX) — London (LHR)
- Miami (MIA) — London (LHR)
- Newark (EWR) — London (LHR)
- New York City (JFK) — London (LGW, LHR) [Excludes JFK-LCY]
- Orlando (MCO) — London (LGW)
- San Francisco (SFO) — London (LHR)
- San Jose, CA (SJC) — London (LHR)
- Seattle (SEA) — London (LHR)
Reduced carrier-imposed fees apply to both cash fares and award tickets, including those booked through partner airlines. With award tickets on select routes no longer incurring such high fees, economy award tickets make much more sense. For example, AAdvantage Mile SAAver award flights booked in economy from New York (JFK) to London-Heathrow (LHR) will incur a total of $98 (~81) in taxes and fees, down from $203 (~£168).
It is unclear why British Airways made the decision to reduce carrier-imposed fees on select routes, but the move does allow British Airways to offer more competitive fares in select markets. Regardless of the reason, British Airways flights are now more attractive thanks to this latest move.
Featured Image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team