This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a familiar story: couple goes on honeymoon, couple celebrates with a few too many drinks, couple ends up with a hilarious-but-not-detrimental story to tell their family once they return. Except, this story doesn’t quite fit that mold.
Gina Lyons and Mark Lee, from London, set off to Sri Lanka to enjoy a blissful honeymoon after vowing their undying love to each other. During the three-week adventure, they found themselves in quite the pickle after consuming a nontrivial amount of rum. With too much alcohol comes a reduction in logic, and what began as a harmless question ended in a contract: They agreed to purchase the place they were honeymooning.
They discovered that the lease was nearly up on the small hotel that they had fallen head over heels for, and in a fit of “Wouldn’t it be great if we canceled our return flight and stayed here forever?!” they actually pulled the trigger. Following a series of translated, drunken conversations, they agreed to pick up the lease for the next three years, which worked out to around $13,200 per annum. Granted, that’s a pretty small sum compared to what you’d pay in London for a bantam apartment, but owning a hotel comes with a lot of other responsibilities.
“Our friends and family think we’re idiots and shouldn’t have been doing it — we owed a lot of money from the wedding and only lived in a tiny flat, and now we have a baby on the way,” said Lyons.
Unflapped, the couple decided to go all-in on the decision, investing $8,000 into renovations and reopening the place as a seven-bedroom bed and breakfast. Lucky Beach Tangalle welcomed its first visitors in July, and so far it appears that business is booming. While they’re delighted with the outcome, they insist that their next major life decision will occur without the assistance of rum.
H/T: Fox News
Featured image courtesy of Lucky Beach Tangalle.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team