This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After being forced to cancel over 1,700 of its flights this Monday and Tuesday due to a pilot strike, disruption continues for British Airways, with around 10% of flights cancelled on Wednesday.
The airline warns that it could be some time before the effects of the strike, organised by members of British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA), wear off. Due to the disruption to Monday and Tuesday’s schedule, more than 700 pilots, 4 000 cabin crew and 300 aircraft from BA’s fleet will have started their day today in the wrong place, according to a statement by British Airways to Business Traveller. This makes keeping to the airline’s schedule a complicated process. Owing to legal crew rest requirements, some crew will be unable to operate for days to come.
“We are working hard to get back to normal and to get our customers to their destinations,” BA said.
At the time of writing, air traffic monitoring site Flightradar24 shows a significant increase in airborne British Airways aircraft compared to Tuesday, with the vast majority of long-haul flights shown leaving London in the first wave of departures post-strike.
Pilots are on strike over a pay increase, having rejected an 11.5% increase over three years.
If you have any doubt over the status of your flight, call British Airways directly for more information.
Featured image by JuSun/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team