This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aviation authorities are investigating an incident in which a Delta flight encountered an “unmanned aircraft” while en route to Boston.
Delta subsidiary Endeavor Air was on its way to Boston’s Logan International Airport (BOS) Wednesday morning when the flight crew reported seeing a drone at 11:15am, about 15 miles northwest of the airport, the Federal Aviation Administration told Fox News.
According to the FAA, the flight did not have to take evasive measures to avoid the drone and landed safely at BOS after taking off from Philadelphia (PHL). No injuries were reported.
“Endeavor Air flight 5521 operating as Delta Connection from Philadelphia to Boston observed what appeared to be a drone during the approach to Logan International,” a spokesperson for Delta told TPG in an emailed statement. “The flight landed without incident.”
Both the FAA and Massachusetts State Police said they would be investigating the incident.
In 2017, the FAA released a report stating that drone strikes can cause more damage to aircraft than bird strikes. Just last month, however, the FAA cleared nine drone companies to fly their devices in areas near airports, modifying a blanket rule that previously prohibited anyone from flying drones in areas within five miles of an airport.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team