Disneyland Paris Poisons 22 People After Pool Chemical Accident
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Both guests and staff members were accidentally poisoned at a Disneyland Paris hotel when employees mixed the wrong chemicals together in the property’s swimming pool on Friday.
At least 22 people at the New York hotel were treated for breathing problems and nausea after the incident, which occurred when sulphuric acid and bleach were mixed in the swimming pool and created chlorine gas. The chemicals were incorrectly mixed by a member of the hotel staff.
According to Le Parisien newspaper, the incident occurred at about 12:30pm on Friday while people were in the swimming pool.
Firefighters and other first responders were called to the scene. Four of the people affected (three employees and one guest, according to Le Parisien) were taken to the hospital by ambulance. The firefighters drained the pool and pumped the toxic mixture out of the pool’s system. The hotel moved guests who had rooms close to the pool, which closed from Friday through Saturday morning after the incident.
If inhaled, chlorine’s toxic fumes can cause difficulty breathing, nausea, blurred vision, skin blisters and coughing, according to the CDC.
TPG reached out to Disneyland Paris about the incident, but we did not receive a response by time of publication.
H/T: The Sun
Featured image of Disneyland Paris’ New York Hotel by Pawel Libera/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!