Regional UK airline lands at Heathrow for the first time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated with new information.
Monday was a big day for regional aviation in the U.K. As planned, Eastern Airways flew its inaugural flight on a brand-new route from Teesside Airport (MME) in the North East to London Heathrow (LHR).
The flight marked the first time that the airline has ever landed in Heathrow. Not only that, but Eastern is currently the only U.K. regional airline to use the capital’s largest and busiest airport.
The flight departed at 11:41 a.m. and arrived into Heathrow earlier than its scheduled time at 12:24 p.m.
The route, which is operated by 76-seater Embraer 170, has reconnected Teesside (MME) to LHR after a hiatus of more than 10 years. The flight is currently scheduled to arrive into and depart from Heathrow Terminal 2, however, this could change when Heathrow reopens terminals 3 and 4, which were closed due to the pandemic.
The airline will operate four flights per week on the route, building this up gradually until the week commencing 5 October, when there will be a once-daily flight. The schedule is planned as follows:
Monday to Friday:
- T3333 Teesside (MME) 12:40 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 1:50 p.m. Arrival
- T3338 London (LHR) 2:30 p.m. Departure ⇒ Teesside (MME) 3:40 p.m. Arrival
- T3333 Teesside (MME) 8:15 a.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 9:25 a.m. Arrival
- T3338 London (LHR) 10:30 a.m. Departure ⇒ Teesside (MME) 11:40 a.m. Arrival
- T3333 Teesside (MME) 1:40 p.m. Departure ⇒ London (LHR) 2:50 p.m. Arrival
- T3338 London (LHR) 3:30 p.m. Departure ⇒ Teesside (MME) 4:40 p.m. Arrival
The new route comes after Eastern’s recent inaugurals from Teesside to London City (LCY) and Newquay (NQY). The Humberside Airport (HUY)-based airline also recently took over some of Flybe’s routes following its collapse at the start of the pandemic.
Featured photo courtesy of Eastern Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!