The A380 Program Might Be Dead, But You Can Still Fly on One
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With a dwindling backlog of A380 orders, airlines cancelling orders, no interest in the secondary market for leased planes that have been returned to their owners and no one rallying around the superjumbo, Airbus has officially announced the end the A380 program.
The current world-wide fleet of A380s stands at 232, with Emirates leading the pack with 109, and it will add 14 more before the A380 program is entirely kaput in 2021.
While Airbus might be winding down the manufacturing of new A380s, you can still fly on the superjumbo with a number of carriers including the TPG award-winning Emirates First Class.
Here is a list of current carriers that still fly A380s, along with the number of superjumbos left in their fleets:
- Air France: 10
- ANA: 1
- Asiana: 6
- British Airways: 12
- China Southern: 5
- Emirates: 109
- Etihad Airways: 10
- Korean Air: 10
- Lufthansa: 14
- Malaysia Airlines: 6
- Qantas: 12
- Qatar Airways: 10
- Singapore Airlines: 19
- Thai Airways: 6
If you are looking to catch a ride on one of these behemoth planes with points or miles, check out our guide before you book your flight. You still have plenty of options to log some time in the air on board an A380.
A380 Routes Departing U.S. Cities:
- BOS to London Heathrow (LHR) on British Airways
- BOS to Dubai on Emirates (Limited Time)
- DFW to Sydney (SYD) on Qantas
- IAH to Frankfurt (FRA) on Lufthansa
- IAH to Dubai (DXB) on Emirates
Los Angeles (LAX)
- LAX to London Heathrow (LHR) on British Airways
- LAX to Sydney (SYD) on Qantas
- LAX to Paris (CDG) on Air France
- LAX to Dubai (DXB) on Emirates
- LAX to Guangzhou (CAN) on China Southern
- LAX to Seoul (ICN) on Korean Air or Asiana Airlines
- LAX to Melbourne (MEL) on Qantas
- LAX to Frankfurt (FRA) on Lufthansa
- MIA to Munich (MUC) on Lufthansa
New York JFK:
- JFK to Paris (CDG) on Air France
- JFK to Frankfurt (FRA) on Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines
- JFK to Seoul (ICN) on Korean Air or Asiana Airlines
- JFK to Dubai (DXB) on Emirates
- JFK to Milan (MXP) on Emirates
- JFK to Abu Dhabi (AUH) on Etihad
San Francisco (SFO)
- SFO to Dubai (DXB) on Emirates
- SFO to Paris (CDG) on Air France
- SFO to London (LHR) on British Airways
- SFO to Frankfurt (FRA) on Lufthansa
Washington DC (IAD)
- IAD to Dubai (DXB) on Emirates
- IAD to Paris (CDG) on Air France
Featured photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
*Correction Jan. 15, 2019 10:00am ET: This story has been updated with the correct airport codes for Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Welcome to The Points Guy!