This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong International Airport has cancelled all of its departing flights on Monday amid growing anti-government protests in the airport’s main terminal.
As the protests at HKG entered their fourth day, airport officials said that operations had been ‘seriously disrupted’.
The airport posted a notice on its website, reading:
“Airport operations at Hong Kong International Airport have been seriously disrupted, all flights have been cancelled. All passengers are advised to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible. Affected passengers please contact their respective airlines for flight arrangement”.
The airport is advising members of the public not to travel to the airport. Arrivals already heading to HKG will be permitted to land.
The protests show no sign of slowing down. Hong Kong-based airline Cathay Pacific has warned staff that they could be fired if they ‘support or participate in illegal protests’. Additionally, Cathay has advised travellers to postpone non-essential travel.
If you have travel to, from or through Hong Kong (HKG) in the coming days, check with your airline to ensure that your flight is still set to operate. As the protests show no sign of slowing down, there’s a chance that the cancellations could extend beyond Monday.
The protests in Hong Kong have been ongoing since June and have meant serious disruptions across the territory.
Featured photo by Anthony Kwan/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team