This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong International Airport has cancelled all departing flights on Tuesday amid continued pro-democracy protests in its main terminal. The closure marks the second consecutive day in which the airport has been forced to suspend departing flight operations.
The protests at HKG have entered their fifth day, and show no sign of slowing down. Following Monday’s closure, flight operations resumed on Tuesday morning local time, though airlines were forced to cancel or delay many flights due to the backlog of previously canceled flights.
As of 4:30pm local time (10:30am UK), all check-ins were suspended, according to airport officials.
In a statement posted on its website, Hong Kong International Airport said:
“Terminal operations at Hong Kong International Airport have been seriously disrupted, and all check-in processes have now been suspended. All passengers are advised to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible. Affected passengers please contact their respective airlines for flight arrangement”.
Images from inside the airport appear to show crowds of protestors, blocking passengers from getting through security.
Live from north security pic.twitter.com/MVrp0cDHTu
— Danny Lee (@JournoDannyAero) August 13, 2019
If you have travel to, from or through Hong Kong (HKG) in the coming days, check with your airline to ensure that your flight is still set to operate. As the protests show no sign of slowing down, there’s a chance that the cancellations could extend beyond Tuesday.
The protests in Hong Kong have been ongoing since June, now focused on Beijing’s central government.
Featured photo by Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team