How to Enter United’s Million Mile Sweepstakes Without Buying Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here – United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card
On Tuesday, United launched a new buy miles promotion with a catch. Instead of just getting bonus miles, you’d also get entries into a sweepstakes offering 1,000,000 bonus United miles plus $10,000 cash. That’s a nice little prize, and it probably caught a bunch of eyes when United sent out the promotion email.
Here’s the catch: there are cheaper ways of getting United miles than 2.21 cents per mile, and you don’t have to buy miles to enter the sweepstakes.
If you’re interested in entering the sweepstakes without buying miles, here’s how to do so:
- Write out a “page or postcard” with your:
- first and last name
- mailing address
- phone number
- email address
- date of birth
- reference to the “MileagePlus Miles Sweepstakes”
- Address an envelope to:
MileagePlus Miles Sweepstakes
Dept 4003, PO Box 23806
Rochester, NY, 14692-3806
- Stamp the envelope with a traditional stamp. The terms note that “no metered mail will be accepted.”
- Make sure that the envelope is postmarked by Feb. 1. Entries must be received by Feb. 7, so you’ll won’t want to mail it too close to the deadline in case of a delay in the mail.
The terms note that “no copies, facsimiles or mechanical reproductions will be accepted.” I’d recommend writing both the page/postcard and the envelope by hand.
There’s a “limit of two (2) entries per person regardless of method of entry.” And since “each page/postcard will receive two (2) entries into the grand prize draw,” it seems each member only needs to send one postcard.
While each page/postcard gets you two entries, there’s a “limit one (1) entry per outer mailing envelope.” This verbiage makes it seem unclear whether you’ll actually get two entries into the sweepstakes from one page/postcard. It’s likely that the sweepstakes lawyers meant that only one page/postcard can be included in each envelope. To be safe, I’d recommend sending each member’s entry in a separate envelope.
The grand prize winner will be selected “on or about March 7, 2019” and notified by email or telephone “approximately one (1) day after the drawing.”
The winner will be responsible for tax on the $30,000 estimated retail value of the grand prize of $10,000 cash and 1,000,000 United miles. That values United miles at 2.0 cents per mile — and yes, that’s less than the 2.21 cents per mile rate for buying miles through the current promotion. You may be able to challenge this 2.0 cents per mile valuation. But, you’ll want to speak with a tax professional about the process to do that if you’re the winner.
Don’t want to have to rely on a sweepstakes to get a free vacation? Well, there are currently two sure ways to rack up 50,000 United miles:
- United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card: 50,000 United miles after spending $3,000 within the first three months — plus benefits like 2 United Club passes per year, free checked bags on eligible reservations and priority boarding.
- United MileagePlus Club Card: 50,000 United miles after spending $3,000 within the first three months — plus a United Club membership, two free checked bags on eligible reservations and solid 1.5x miles per dollar spent on general purchases.
Welcome to The Points Guy!