This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flights in and out of London Heathrow (LHR) remain operational despite attempts by climate change activists to cause widespread disruption by using drones within a restricted zone around the airport. The potential disruption comes just days after the British Airways pilot strike meant grounded planes on Monday and Tuesday at the UK’s busiest airport.
In the latest statement from Heathrow, there is no anticipated disruption for the rest of the day: “We will continue to work with the authorities to carry out dynamic risk assessment programmes and keep our passengers flying safely on their journeys today.”
Flight tracking website Flightradar24, currently shows aircraft both taking off and landing as usual at Heathrow.
Earlier warnings that any disruptive action would be subject to the full force of the law would appear to have coerced the activists to fly the drones at around head height level and not directly in the flight path of aircraft. Kirsty Kiernan and Ryan Wallace, both professors at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, said that protesting in this manner would not pose any risk to aircraft.
Featured image by Christian Kramer/The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team