This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We continue to bring you the best and worst of TPG UK’s own travel stories. Recently we brought you the story of Senior Writer Ben Smithson’s strategy for outsmarting seat selection on low-cost airlines and how it failed miserably for him on a recent Vueling flight.
This week, a success story from Ben and a little-known trick if you’re ever in Turkey.
“Turkey is a big country, so it can make sense to fly from city to city. Domestic economy flights on full-service carrier Turkish Airlines are astonishingly cheap — even when booked at the last minute. How cheap? I’m talking £19 for a flight leaving tomorrow from Istanbul to Antalya or Bodrum. Forget printing your boarding pass and only taking a tiny carry-on bag like you might be used to with flights this cheap. This price includes checked baggage, airport check-in (or online if you choose) and even a meal by world renown caterer Do&Co.
And there are two other little tricks that make this deal even better. While short-haul business-class fares on most European airlines can easily be £300+ one-way, business class on Turkish domestic flights is very affordable, with many routes less than £100 every single day. But given these flights are only an hour or two in length, why bother with business class on a domestic flight?
That brings me to the third trick. Turkish uses wide-body, long-haul aircraft on many domestic flights, meaning you can have the full business-class experience with a lie-flat seat for less than £100. This is amazing value. When searching for domestic Turkish flights, look for Boeing 777, Boeing 787 or Airbus A330 as the aircraft type and you’ll have the long-haul seat.
Why not treat yourself?”
If you’d like your own travel stories shared on TPG UK, we would love to hear them!
Featured image by Ben Smithson / The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team