This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
London Luton Airport (LTN) will finally introduce rail services to the main airport terminal by 2021. The airport is currently the only London-area airport that does not have a train service to the airport terminals. Currently, passengers can take rail services to Luton Airport Parkway station but are then required to take a separate bus to the airport, which is both inefficient and frustrating, adding to the airport’s decidedly ‘low-cost’ feeling.
East Midlands Railway has made two positive announcements regarding rail services this week. The first is that it will operate a fleet of all-electric trains between London St. Pancras station and Luton Airport Parkway station nonstop every 30 minutes from December next year. This is expected to reduce travel times significantly, but will still require the additional bus ride from the Parkway station to the airport.
The second announcement is that in 2021 there will be a rail service from the Airport Parkway station on to the airport terminal. Luton Airport Chief Executive Alberto Martin has assured passengers there will be express services with a total journey time of under 30 minutes though this may still require a change of trains at the Airport Parkway station. This would actually mean Luton Airport would become one of the fastest airports to reach from Central London, which should greatly increase its appeal for travellers. Luton Airport is a hub for easyJet and Wizz Air UK, as well as being a focus city for Ryanair and TUI.
Featured image by Daniel Leal-Olivas/AFP/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team