This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Monday after scaling a fence and sprinting onto a runway as a Delta Air Lines aircraft prepared to takeoff.
Around 2:00pm PT, a man later identified as 23-year-old Luis Aguilar, scaled a fence near Lincoln and Sepulveda boulevards at the northernmost part of the airport, according to ABC News. Officers quickly responded and apprehended Aguilar on runway 24 Left, arrested him and removed him from the scene in a police car.
“Airport Police observed a male scale the outer perimeter fence at Lincoln near Sepulveda,” said Rob Pedregon, Los Angeles Airport Police’s public information officer. “United converged on the man who approached a Delta aircraft staging for departure. Airport Police have taken him into custody and are conducting an investigation.”
Comedian Chad Ridgely was reportedly on board the Delta flight attempting to depart and tweeted that the man “ran onto the runway and started doing push-ups.” Ridgely included an unconfirmed photo from the incident, where Aguilar appears to be in custody.
Aguilar, who is reportedly homeless and has mental health issues, was charged with trespassing, police said. He will receive a mental health evaluation when released by police.
In June, a man stripped down to his underwear, climbed over a fence and ran onto the tarmac at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL). The man in that incident was arrested for criminal trespassing, public indecency and obstruction of law enforcement officers.
Featured image Kevork Djansezian / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team