Exciting New Airline Routes for February 2019 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, we’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN FEBRUARY 2019
Spirit Airlines Adds New Routes From Austin, Baltimore, Jacksonville, New Orleans and San Juan (launched February 14 and 15)
Details — Now’s the perfect time to start planning a trip from Austin (AUS), Baltimore (BWI), New Orleans (MSY) or Jacksonville (JAX) thanks to a slew of new daily routes launched earlier this month by Spirit Airlines. Those near BWI and Tampa (TPA) can also fly nonstop to San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU), which has made quite the recovery since 2017’s devastating hurricane — with its beautiful beaches, ridiculously good food and heaps of history and culture, this city will always be worthy of a visit. Note that the AUS-FLL, AUS-MCO and JAX-FLL flights are being operated by A319s, while the others are aboard A320s.
Launched February 14, 2019 (daily):
- Austin (AUS) — Baltimore (BWI)
- Austin (AUS) — Chicago (ORD)
- Austin (AUS) — Denver (DEN)
- Austin (AUS) — Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Austin (AUS) — Las Vegas (LAS)
- Austin (AUS) — New Orleans (MSY)
- Austin (AUS) — Orlando (MCO)
- Baltimore (BWI) – Jacksonville (JAX)
- New Orleans (MSY) – Denver (DEN)
- San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) – Baltimore (BWI)
- San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) – Tampa (TPA)
Launched February 15, 2019 (daily):
- Austin (AUS) – Detroit (DTW)
- Jacksonville (JAX) – Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
JetBlue Begins Boston to Palm Springs Route, Extends Service from JFK (launched February 14)
Details — If you’ve been looking for an excuse to escape winter weather in the Northeast and defrost in Southern California, this is it. JetBlue recently launched nonstop service between Boston (BOS) and Palm Springs (PSP), with twice-weekly flights on Monday and Thursday now through April 30 — folks in the Big Apple can also hop a daily flight from JFK now through May 27. The BOS-PSP route is serviced by the carrier’s A320 aircraft, while the JFK-PSP flight features the A321.
Boston to Palm Springs (2x per week through April 30, 2019):
- B61405 Boston (BOS) 4:54pm Departure → Palm Springs (PSP) 8:24pm Arrival
- B61406 Palm Springs (PSP) 9:19pm Departure → Boston (BOS) 5:29am (+1) Arrival
New York to Palm Springs (daily, through May 27, 2019):
- B6149 New York (JFK) 6:44pm Departure → Palm Springs (PSP) 9:58pm Arrival
- B6150 Palm Springs (PSP) 11:09pm Departure → New York (JFK) 7:22am (+1) Arrival
New Domestic Routes Available on American Airlines (launched February 14 and 16)
Details — American Airlines launched six new routes this month, including new daily flights between New York (JFK) and San Antonio (SAT) and Washington, DC (DCA) and Oklahoma City (OKC), as well as a new link between New York (LGA) and Knoxville, TN (TYS), which operates twice daily. The other three new routes offer Saturday service, connecting Chicago (ORD) and Philadelphia (PHL) with Key West (EYW), and Philly with Melbourne, Florida (MLB). The JFK-SAT flight is serviced by AA’s 737-800 aircraft, while the PHL-MLB route features a CRJ-700 and the remaining flights are aboard E-175s.
Launched February 14, 2019 (daily — or twice daily, marked below):
- New York (JFK) – San Antonio (SAT)
- New York (LGA) – Knoxville, TN (TYS), twice daily service
- Washington, DC (DCA) – Oklahoma City (OKC)
Launched February 16, 2019 (1x per week on Saturday):
- Chicago (ORD) – Key West (EYW)
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Key West (EYW)
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Orlando Melbourne (MLB)
Alaska Airlines Adds Flights to Seattle and San Diego from El Paso (launched February 19)
Details — On the heels of last month’s new Southwest flight from El Paso (ELP) to San Jose (SJC), Alaska Airlines introduced service to San Diego (SAN) from El Paso, as well as another route to Seattle (SEA). Both routes are operated daily by the carrier’s Embraer 175 aircraft, great news for those in the Lone Star State wanting to visit the West Coast or for anyone in Southern California or the Pacific Northwest who’s wondering if everything really is bigger in Texas.
El Paso to San Diego (daily):
- AS2320 El Paso (ELP) 12:50pm Departure → San Diego (SAN) 1:40pm Arrival
- AS2321 San Diego (SAN) 2:25pm Departure → El Paso (ELP) 5:10pm Arrival
El Paso to Seattle (daily):
- AS2528 El Paso (ELP) 5:55pm Departure → Seattle (SEA) 8:15pm Arrival
- AS2009 Seattle (SEA) 7:45am Departure → El Paso (ELP) 11:47am Arrival
Frontier Airlines Introduces More US and Caribbean Flights (launched February 9 and 10)
Details — Low-cost carrier Frontier Airlines launched two new flights this month, making it easier to travel between Burlington, Vermont (BTV) and Orlando (MCO) and Philadelphia (PHL) and Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ). As of February 9, the BTV–MCO route runs twice per week on Wednesday and Saturday, while as of February 10, PHL–MBJ service runs twice per week on Thursday and Sunday. A new nonstop hop between Burlington and Denver (DEN) is slated to begin May 1. All flights feature the carrier’s A320 aircraft.
Burlington to Orlando (2x per week):
- F91035 Burlington, VT (BTV) 3:12pm Departure → Orlando (MCO) 6:35pm Arrival
- F91034 Orlando (MCO) 11:19am Departure → Burlington, VT (BTV) 2:22pm Arrival
Philadelphia to Montego Bay, Jamaica (2x per week):
- F949 Philadelphia (PHL) 6:00am Departure – Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ) 8:59pm Arrival
- F948 Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ) 10:09am Departure → Philadelphia (PHL) 3:00pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN FEBRUARY 2019
Norwegian’s Adding Flights to Europe from Chicago and NYC
Details — Despite the shuttering of its nonstop Caribbean routes from the US that’ll start March 31, low-cost carrier Norwegian Air recently announced a series of new flights from New York City (JFK) to Athens (ATH) and Chicago (ORD) to Barcelona (BCN) on deck for summer 2019. Flights from JFK–ATH will be operated four times per week on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday as of July 2, while the ORD–BCN route will run four times a week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday starting June 7. The carrier also plans to increase its service to Barcelona from Newark (EWR) and Los Angeles (LAX) later this summer.
Flights from New York to Athens
- Tuesday and Saturday:
- DY7030 New York (JFK) 12:30am Departure → Athens (ATH) 4:40pm Arrival
- Wednesday and Sunday:
- DY7030 New York (JFK) 12:55pm Departure → 5:05am (+1) Arrival
Return Flights from Athens to New York
- Monday and Friday:
- DY7029 Athens (ATH) 9:25am Departure → New York (JFK) 12:55pm Arrival
- Wednesday and Saturday:
- DY7029 Athens (ATH) 7:55am Departure → New York (JFK) 11:25am Arrival
Chicago to Barcelona (4x per week from June 7 to October 26, 2019):
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday…
- DY7156 Chicago (ORD) 6:30pm Departure → Barcelona (BCN) 9:50am (+1) Arrival
- DY7155 Barcelona (BCN) 2:05pm Departure → Chicago (ORD) 4:30pm Arrival
- …with a slight deviation on Saturday:
- DY7156 Chicago (ORD) 8:30pm Departure → Barcelona (BCN) 11:50am (+1) Arrival
- DY7155 Barcelona (BCN) 3:55pm Departure → Chicago (ORD) 6:20pm Arrival
Royal Air Maroc Announces New Route From Boston to Casablanca
Details — In an effort to increase connections between the US and Africa, Royal Air Maroc announced a new nonstop route from Boston (BOS) slated to begin June 22 of this year. The flight will be operated 3x per week on Monday, Thursday and Saturday until September 14 before switching to a Wednesday, Friday and Sunday schedule from September 18, 2019 to June 19, 2020. The carrier is also planning to launch its first nonstop route from Miami (MIA) on April 3, which will operated three times per week on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, also by the carrier’s 787-8 Dreamliner.
Boston to Casablanca (3x per week):
- AT211 Boston (BOS) 9:15pm Departure → Casablanca (CMN) 8:50am (+1) Arrival
- AT210 Casablanca (CMN) 5:05pm Departure → Boston (BOS) 7:30pm Arrival
Miami to Casablanca (3x per week):
- AT205 Miami (MIA) 10:20pm Departure → Casablanca (CMN) 11:30 (+1) Arrival
- AT204 Casablanca (CMN) 4:50pm Departure → Miami (MIA) 8:35pm Arrival
Austrian Airlines Is Adding More Flights From North America
Details — Earlier this month, Austrian Airlines announced plans to expand its network from Vienna (VIE) to North America starting March 31, 2019, with new nonstop flights to Miami (MIA) four times per week on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday; daily service to Los Angeles (LAX) and New York City from both JFK and EWR; and daily service to Montreal (YUL) beginning April 29, 2019. The carrier also plans to add new routes between VIE and Tokyo, as well as new nonstop connections around Europe, with increased service to various cities in Germany, Italy, Spain, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Macedonia and the Greek Islands.
Miami to Vienna (4x per week on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday):
- OS98 Miami (MIA) 4:45pm Departure → 9:00am (+1) Vienna (VIE) Arrival
- OS97 Vienna (VIE) 9:55am Departure → Miami (MIA) 3:15pm Arrival
Los Angeles to Vienna (daily):
- OS82 Los Angeles (LAX) 3:15pm Departure → 12:00pm (+1) Vienna (VIE) Arrival
- OS81 Vienna (VIE) 10:05am Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 1:25pm Arrival
New York and Newark to Vienna (daily):
- OS88 New York (JFK) 5:35pm Departure → Vienna (VIE) 8:20am (+1) Arrival
- OS87 Vienna (VIE) 10:45am Departure → New York (JFK) 2:15pm Arrival
- OS90 Newark (EWR) 5:40pm Departure → Vienna (8:10am (+1) Arrival
- OS89 Vienna (VIE) 10:15am Departure → Newark (EWR) 1:50pm Arrival
Montreal to Vienna (daily as of April 29, 2019):
- OS74 Montreal (YUL) 6:45pm Departure → Vienna (VIE) 8:45am (+1) Arrival
- OS73 Vienna (VIE) 10:30am Departure → Montreal (YUL) 1:35pm Arrival
United to Debut Denver Service, New Seasonal Flights to Rapid City
Details — This month, United announced plans to introduce new daily year-round nonstop service between Denver (DEN) and Syracuse, New York (SYR), as well as daily seasonal service from DEN to Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (GSP) and Portland, Maine (PWM). According to Routes Online, the carrier is also vamping up service from both the East and West Coast to Rapid City (RAP), gateway to South Dakota’s legendary Black Hills and Badlands National Park, with flights being offered on weekends from San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX) and Newark (EWR) just in time to see this underrated part of the country when it truly shines in summer.
New Flights From Denver:
- Denver (DEN) – Syracuse, NY (SYR), daily year-round service
- Denver (DEN) – Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (GSP), daily seasonal service starting June 6
- Denver (DEN) – Portland, Maine (PWM), daily seasonal service starting June 8
Weekend Seasonal Service from June 22 to September 1, 2019:
- San Francisco (SFO) – Rapid City (RAP)
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Rapid City (RAP)
Weekend Seasonal Service from June 17 to September 7, 2019:
- Newark (EWR) – Rapid City (RAP)
Spirit Airlines to Offer More Flights From Charlotte
Details — Things are certainly happening in Charlotte (CLT), where low-cost carrier Spirit Airlines announced plans this month to launch four new routes later this summer. Beginning June 20, you can expect to see nonstop flights from CLT to Baltimore (BWI), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO) and Newark (EWR), all of which will be operated daily by the carrier’s A320 aircraft.
Daily Service Launching June 20, 2019:
- Charlotte (CLT) – Baltimore (BWI)
- Charlotte (CLT) – Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- Charlotte (CLT) – Orlando (MCO)
- Charlotte (CLT) – Newark (EWR)
More Domestic and International Flights Coming to American Airlines
Details — It’s been a busy month for American Airlines, which decided to extend its nonstop service starting March 31 between Phoenix (PHX) and London (LHR) to year-round status instead of just keeping it seasonal until October 26. The carrier is also increasing its service from Charlotte (CLT) to Chicago (ORD) to 10 daily flights, CLT to Los Angeles (LAX) to eight daily flights, and CLT to New York (JFK) and Newark (EWR) to 16 daily flights each. Additional new routes planned for 2019 include daily year-round service from CLT to Munich (MUC) aboard the carrier’s A330-200 beginning March 30, flights to Erie, PA (ERI) slated to start in May, and routes to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) and Traverse City, Michigan (TVC) from CLT beginning in June.
Phoenix to London (daily):
- AA194 Phoenix (PHX) 3:10pm Departure → London (LHR) 9:25am (+1) Arrival
- AA195 London (LHR) 9:30pm Departure → Phoenix (PHX) 12:30pm Arrival
New Routes Coming Soon to Charlotte:
- Charlotte (CLT) – Baltimore (BWI), 2x daily flights
- Charlotte (CLT) – Fort Lauderdale (FLL), 2x daily flights
- Charlotte (CLT) – Orlando (MCO), daily flight
- Charlotte (CLT) – Newark (EWR), daily flight
EgyptAir’s Proposed New Route Between Washington, DC, and Cairo
Details — While this technically hasn’t been finalized as of press time, only officially filed by the airline, we’ve got our eye on what could be EgyptAir’s big comeback. If everything goes according to plan, nonstop service between Washington, DC (IAD) and Cairo (CAI) would begin June 3, 2019, and be operated by the carrier’s shiny new 787-9 three times per week on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday — that’s Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the CAI-IAD return trip. Stay tuned to TPG for more information as this development continues to unfold.
Proposed Schedule (3x per week):
- MS982 Washington DC (IAD) 12:00pm Departure → Cairo (CAI) 4:50am (+1) Arrival
- MS981 Cairo (CAI) 11:30pm Departure → Washington, DC (IAD) 5:40am (+1) Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured photo of Casablanca’s Hassan II Mosque by Stanley Chen Xi / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!