This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ultra-low-cost carrier Norwegian Air announced that it will discontinue all of the airline’s flights between North America and Ireland. Flights between North America and Ireland will end next month. The airline cited its focus on profitability and the ongoing grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX as factors in the decision to terminate service between North America and Ireland.
Effective 15 September 2019, Norwegian Air will cease all flights between the US, Canada and Ireland. The following routes will be terminated:
- Providence, RI (PVD) ⇒ Cork (ORK)
- Providence, RI (PVD) ⇒ Dublin (DUB)
- Providence, RI (PVD) ⇒ Shannon (SNN)
- New York-Stewart (SWF) ⇒ Shannon (SNN)
- New York-Stewart (SWF) ⇒ Dublin (DUB)
- Hamilton, Ont. (YHM) ⇒ Dublin (DUB)
Norwegian Air cited the airline’s shifting focus towards profitability over growth. The airline also implicated the Boeing 737 MAX in its decision to terminate flights between North America and Ireland. The Boeing 737 MAX was the aircraft originally intended to operate the majority of Norwegian Air’s flights between North American and Ireland. However, Norwegian Air was forced to source alternate aircraft following the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX in March 2019.
Norwegian Air had been utilizing wet-leased aircraft on its flights between North America and Ireland to minimize the impact of the 737 MAX grounding. However, the airline stated that continuing to wet-lease replacement aircraft has become unsustainable. With the 737 MAX’s re-entry into service still uncertain, Norwegian Air noted that the airline’s flights between North America and Ireland are no longer commercially viable.
Flights between North America and Ireland were added in 2017 as part of Norwegian Air’s aggressive transatlantic expansion. Norwegian Air is the only airline offering international flights at Providence Airport (PVD) and the only airline with nonstop flights to Europe from New York-Stewart (SWF).
Ireland’s Raidió Teilifís Éireann is reporting that “several thousand customers” will be impacted by the route closures. Norwegian Air noted in a press release that the airline is working to assist passengers impacted by the termination of flights between North America and Ireland.
Passengers impacted by the termination of Norwegian’s flights should contact the airline directly. Unfortunately, because Norwegian Air provided at least two weeks notice, passengers are not entitled to compensation under EU261.
Featured image by Omar Marques/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express offers 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points as well as a slew of other valuable benefits like lounge access, hotel elite status and a digital subscription to The Times and The Sunday Times for Primary and Platinum Supplementary Cardmembers.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £6k in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Up to 99 free Supplementary Cards - one complimentary Platinum Employee Cards and 98 Complimentary Gold Employee Cards
- Global Lounge Collection - Access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries, including The Centurion® Lounges and membership of Priority Pass™
- Hotel Status at Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy™, Meliá Hotels International, Radisson Hotel Group, Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts – enjoy benefits such as complimentary upgrades, early check-in and late check-out, enhanced loyalty points, complimentary Wi-Fi and more
- The Times and The Sunday Times annual digital subscription (£312 value per Card) – available for Primary and all Supplementary Cardmembers
- Fine Hotels and Resorts – Enjoy a collection of over 1,000 hand-selected iconic 5-star properties worldwide. Receive complimentary benefits worth an average total value of £400 per stay.*
- £150 statement credit for every booking with onefinestay (unlimited use)
- Dedicated Account Management Team