Primera Air Launches 3 New Transatlantic Flights From the US Starting at $149
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It looks like Primera isn’t ready to quit the US. After launching a number of new routes and then cutting back on a few of them — with more cuts coming soon — the low-cost carrier announced three new transatlantic flights between the US and Europe, but not before next year:
- Newark (EWR) to Brussels (BRU): Daily starting May 9, 2019
- Washington Dulles (IAD) to Brussels (BRU): 3x weekly starting June 2, 2019
- Boston (BOS) to Brussels (BRU): 4x weekly starting June 4, 2019
Flights are already on sale via Primera Air’s website, with prices starting at $149 one-way or $342 round-trip:
Following Primera Air has been quite the roller-coaster over the past year. In July 2017, the airline announced its first transatlantic routes from Birmingham (BHX), London Stansted (STN) and Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) to Newark (EWR) and Boston (BOS) using its new Airbus A321neos. Before its inaugural flight, Boston-Birmingham would quietly be canceled.
Then, Primera Air also wouldn’t get its new aircraft in time for the inaugural, so I flew the inaugural Primera Air flight on a wet-leased National Airlines 757.
A week into that service, back-to-back-to-back Primera Air flights were canceled when the leased aircraft developed engine issues. Multiple flights after that faced overnight delays.
Since then, Primera Air has received new A321neos, but sales haven’t taken off. In May, Primera eliminated its Boston to Birmingham route and reduce frequencies on its route from Newark to Birmingham. Then in early August, Primera completely shut down its operations in Birmingham — canceling all transatlantic and intra-Europe flights — effective October 2018.
With the new additions, Primera Air’s current US operations consists of:
Currently Operating but Ending Soon:
- Boston (BOS) to London Stansted (STN) — 4x weekly until October 26, 2018
- Boston (BOS) to Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) — 3x weekly until October 27, 2018
- Newark (EWR) to London Stansted (STN) — daily until March 30, 2019
- Newark (EWR) to Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) — daily until March 31, 2019
Announced But Not Operating Yet:
- Washington Dulles (IAD) to London Stansted (STN) — 4x weekly starting August 23, 2018
- Newark (EWR) to Brussels (BRU) — daily starting May 9, 2019
- Washington Dulles (IAD) to Brussels (BRU) — 3x weekly starting June 2, 2019
- Boston (BOS) to Brussels (BRU) — 4x weekly starting June 2, 2019
Welcome to The Points Guy!